Pardon my juvenile attempt at an inappropriate pun. Apparently a waiter who looked sufficiently gay was allegedly short-changed by some customers because of his apparent sexual preference.
(WFSB) — A 20-year-old waiter provided exemplary service at an Overland Park Italian restaurant, but his anti-gay customers refused to tip him because of his sexual orientation.
The man works at the Carrabba’s Italian Grill near 107th Street and Metcalf Avenue. His mother also works as a hostess and she was very upset by what was written on the back of the check earlier this week after he waited on a couple.
“Thank you for your service, it was excellent. That being said, we cannot in good conscience tip you, for your homosexual lifestyle is an affront to GOD. (Homosexual slur) do not share in the wealth of GOD, and you will not share in ours,” the customer wrote. “We hope you will see the tip your (homosexual slur) choices made you lose out on, and plan accordingly. It is never too late for GOD’s love, but none shall be spared for (homosexual slur). May GOD have mercy on you.”
Here were my immediate thoughts on the story, which I assume is true.
- At a restaurant I think the customer has the right to tip or not tip for any reason at all even if it’s for superficial or bigoted reasons.
- There is every indication that the waiter’s sexuality was obvious enough that the customer’s took notice and the customers intentionally planned to withhold a tip after receiving “excellent” service.
- If the waiter’s sexuality was such a problem that they felt justified in refusing to tip, then they should have requested a different server. That they didn’t do this shows their actions were malicious in nature.
- I oppose same sex marriage and the idea that homosexual sexual relationships are morally good or benign. Despite this, gay men and women deserve to earn a living.
- I noticed that could somehow be waited on in good conscience which serves to show their objection to homosexuals is personal.
- Even accepting for the sake of argument that homosexuality is a sin, that doesn’t mean you’re justified in making it your business to make them suffer financially or humiliate them in a public way. No one deserves to be harassed ridiculed.
- The presence of homosexual slurs tells me the customers were either not Christian and looking to besmirch Christians, just like homosexuals who stage hate crimes to achieve an end; or they are the “God Hates Fags” crowd from the Westboro Baptist Church — this happened in Kansas. Overland Park is only about an hour drive from Topeka, home of the WBC. This has WBC written all over it.